In Episode 19 of Apolitical we speak with Councillor David Meikle, the sole Conservative representative on Glasgow City Council. We chat about his political background; the Scottish Conservatives’ prospects at Holyrood; and the controversial tale of selection to the Conservative regional list for Glasgow at the 2011 Scottish Parliament elections.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS
Amongst the topics we discuss with David on the podcast are:
• His initial interest in politics;
• The values and policies that drew him to the Conservative Party;
• His personal political ambitions;
• How Ruth Davidson came to top the regional list for Glasgow at the 2011 Scottish Parliament elections;
• What prospects the Scottish Conservatives have for success at Holyrood;
• How the party rebounds from their lowest vote share in living memory at the 2015 General Election;
• Upcoming changes at Glasgow City Council and what they mean; and
• Whether Scotland’s place in the Union is secure.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.
View our house rules for commenting here.
David Meikle’s website
David Meikle on Twitter
Glasgow City Council