In Episode 7 of apolitical we speak with Angela Haggerty, Editor of CommonSpace, a new media news service created by the Common Weal think tank. We chat about political journalism in Scotland, threats to freedom of speech and Angela’s experiences with criminal levels of abuse on social media.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS
Amongst the topics we discuss with Angela on the podcast are:
• Her time as a teenage political activist;
• Why she chose to work in political journalism;
• Where CommonSpace differs from traditional media outlets;
• Whether there are too many male editors in the Scottish political media;
• Freedom of Speech issues faced by journalists in Scotland;
• The challenges of criticising the SNP when your readership is largely supportive of the party;
• The effect of criminally abusive behaviour on social media; and
• Her concerns about the lack of progress made to tackle this kind of abuse in recent years.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.
View our house rules for commenting here.
Angela Haggerty on Twitter
Comparison of journalist and PR figures