In Episode 32 of Apolitical we welcome back Angela Haggerty as our first guest of Season 2. Angela was also a guest early in Season 1 and joins us to discuss the fallout from her recent sacking as a Sunday Herald columnist.
Magnus Llewellin, Editor-in-Chief of the Herald Group of newpapers, was offered an opportunity to contribute to the show and his response is referenced during the interview. He also asked that we refer to this article in the Guardian, which reflects his position.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS
Amongst the topics we discuss with Angela on the podcast are:
• The work she was doing for the Sunday Herald;
• The impact of and response to that work;
• Graham Spiers’ controversial column for the Herald that precipitated her dismissal;
• The Herald Group’s position in respect of the matter;
• Whether questions of freedom of speech or freedom of the press are relevant to this matter;
• Criticisms she has received in relation to the matter;
• How this can lead to positive developments for Scottish journalism.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.
You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Pocket Casts, TuneIn, Stitcher or on your usual podcast app.
View our house rules for commenting here.
The Herald’s apology
Graham Spiers’ response to the apology
Bella Caledonia’s report of Angela’s sacking
Angela’s article on Bella Caledonia on this subject