In Episode 17 of Apolitical we speak with Humza Yousaf MSP, Minister for Europe and International Development in the Scottish Government. We chat about his meteoric rise as a politician; the migration crisis in Calais; faith in politics and the way Scotland’s International Development budget is used.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS
Amongst the topics we discuss with Humza on the podcast are:
• His exposure to politics as a youth;
• How the US Government’s International Visitor Leadership Program changed his views on America;
• What convinced him of the case for Scottish independence;
• His political icons and role models;
• The ramifications of focusing Scotland’s aid budget on a narrow group of nations;
• What impact the treatment Greece is receiving from its EU partners has had on his pro-EU stance;
• Why the UK needs to do more to help refugees and asylum seekers;
• The Scottish Government’s position in relation to immigration and migration;
• The influence his faith has on his politics;
• Whether his career has been aided or hindered on account of his faith; and
• His assessment of where the case for and chances of Scottish independence stand right now.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.
View our house rules for commenting here.
Humza Yousaf’s website
Humza Yousaf on Twitter
Malawi Development Programme